The first week

It was only on Saturday that I felt that the first week of working as an intern was over. Six days ago, it was Sunday then, I was swimming in panic at the seemingly trivial question as to what the dress code was at the office. The issue of a necktie was of paramount importance at the time. Aside from the dress code, there was also the matter of parking, of travel time, of food and water supply, and of parking fees. Sure, it wasn’t like I was going on Man vs. Wild, but I guess we can bend the notion of what “the wild” is with a little imagination. With all that I just ended up sleeping it off.

When Monday finally came, I was lucky there was no catastrophic event like getting pulled over for a traffic violation in Makati or bursting a tire along EDSA. Things were surprisingly smooth with only an orientation during the morning and a whole afternoon of intense sitting. It was the deep breath before the plunge I suppose. True enough, all the work came in the following days. Tasks were assigned and I, along with the other interns, did our tasks in silence like monks in an abbey. Monday was also the day when the LocGov grades were released. It was also the time I found out that three people in our class did not make the passing mark. After that, the rest of the day just crashed.

Indeed, the first week was full of surprises. One of them was picking up the parking bill as I left work on the first day. I scrolled my eyes down to the bottom: P175.00. There would have been tears if weren’t for the magic words from the HR – “reimbursable parking expense.” Gotta love perks. The drive back home after work was a tough one. There’s always the traffic and the usual jerks on the road. Long drives going home always remind me of that first job at Red Cross near the North Harbor. Driving for almost two hours every day. I couldn’t take it and left after two weeks. It seems EDSA was the real test for ideals.

The days went by quickly. As soon as the work came falling on my lap, the hours just kept burning. Time-out was at 6 o’clock and the drive back home took around an hour. Back home there was just enough time for a meal, a shower, and (if I’m lucky) an hour for personal reading, and then sleep. The day began at half past five in the morning or a quarter to six due to the snooze function. Shower. Breakfast. Change. Drive back to the office and the cycle continues. The only relief is the return of friday nights. For a change, I don’t have anything to worry about on saturdays. Weekends were what they were before law school – ends of the week. My bag stayed zipped throughout saturday and sunday and it felt great. Such is life for the next five weeks.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s